How to Make a Denim Messy Bow
Add a little denim and diamonds to your home decor with this messy bow DIY. This adorable bow can be added to banners and wreaths, or even attached to a vase for a little whimsy. So gather some old jeans and let’s get crafting!
This messy bow DIY may be my new favorite bow! I love the contrast of the denim and diamonds look. Messy bows are fun to make because they are easy. You can make them out of just about anything, lace, ribbon, fabric scraps.
Take a look at several other messy bows I’ve shared:
- 5 Minute Lace Messy Bow
- Messy Bow Burlap Pillow Wrap
- Christmas Tree Topper
- Messy Bow Fall Wood Block Decor
Here is the quick tutorial so you can make your own.
SUPPLIES needed for Messy Bow DIY
All the supplies needed can be found HERE in my Amazon Shop!
- Old Jeans – if you don’t have any, you can pick some up at the thrift store cheap!
- Rhinestone Embellishments
- Zip Ties
- Fabric Scissors
How to make A DIY DENIM Messy Bow
Start by cutting the jeans into squares. It’s best to start at the bottom using the leg of the jeans, cutting along the seam. I don’t normally measure and just go by eye, but this was cut in about an 8×8″ section.
QUICK TIP: You can adjust the bow size easily by using a smaller or larger square of fabric.
Once you have the jean square, make small cuts into the denim at the width you want the bow to be. Again, I usually just eye the cuts. It’s important to keep the cuts the same width to get the messy bow look.
Now, you can just rip the denim where you started the cut. This is not only easier than cutting, but it gives that frayed edge that we love.
For this messy bow I used approximately 12-15 strips of denim. The number of strips is up to you depending on the size you want.
You’ll also want to pull any lose threads off the strips of denim. See the “mess” we made there… lol!
Next, simply lay the denim pieces in a criss-cross circular pattern until all the pieces are used.
Once you have all the pieces of denim laid out, thread a cable zip tie underneath through the bottom and pull the zip tie loosely until you have it where you want it.
Flip the stack of denim strips over and tighten the zip tie. Trim any excess zip tie off the bow.
Choose the embellishment you’d like to add. I love to adorn my messy bow with a little bling and a rhinestone is just perfect! The contrast with the denim is just lovely. You can either pin it (if it’s a brooch like this one) to the center of the bow, or use a little hot glue if it doesn’t have a pin.
Look how fun this denim and diamonds messy bow is! Now you can get creative with how you are going to use this pretty bow.
how to use the DENIM messy bow
Here are just a few ways you can use your new denim messy bow:
- Attach it to a wreath for a little extra texture and interest.
- Secure it to a vase or mason jar.
- Make two to add to each end of a banner.
- Use it as a gift bow and attach it to a gift bag or wrapped present.
- Pin it to a jacket as a fun embellishment.
- Add it to an otherwise plain ballcap for a pop of whimsy.
I hope you enjoyed this simple DIY. Please let me know if you make your own denim and diamonds messy bow DIY. Leave me a comment below and share pictures of your finished tags!
step by step video tutorial
If you want to see the exact step by step process, be sure to check out this video tutorial below over on my YouTube Channel!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE OTHER Bow DIY iDEAS!
Be sure to PIN this for later!
Denim and Diamonds Messy Bow DIY
- Fabric Scissors
- Old Jeans
- Rhinestone Embellishment
- Zip Ties
- Start by cutting the jeans into squares.
- Make small cuts into the denim at the width you want the bow to be.
- Continue to make cuts across the entire end of the denim square. Just rip the denim where you started the cut.
- I used approximately 12-15 strips of lace. The number of strips is up to you depending on the size you want.
- Pull any lose threads off the strips of denim.
- Lay the denim pieces in a criss-cross fashion in a circular pattern until all the pieces are used.
- Once the denim is laid out, thread a zip tie underneath through the bottom and pull it tight. Trim any excess zip tie.
- Attach a rhinestone embellishment.