Do you love the look of vintage Santa mugs? Turns out, they make the perfect Christmas tree! In this post, I’ll show you how to make your own DIY Vintage Santa Mug Christmas Tree. It’s easy and fun, and it will add a touch of nostalgia to your holiday decor. So get ready to get crafty!
This DIY project is super simple, but it really brings an element of nostalgia to your home. The vintage Santas add instant Christmas cheer. You can follow this same idea for any holiday collection that you have, size permitting. Small nutcrackers or reindeer would look great. How about a collection of bottle brush trees or shiny-brites?
I love adding little trees to different rooms in my home. Did you see the adorable kitchen Christmas tree I shared HERE?
Here is the easy tutorial…
SUPPLIES needed for Vintage Santa Mug Christmas Tree
- Vintage Santa Mug Collection – mine are a mix of new and vintage
- Miniature Tree
- Mug Tree
- Small Sign for Topper
- Box or Riser
- Scrap fabric
- Optional Vintage Decor
How to make a Kitchen Christmas Tree
gather your mug collection
Gather your Santa mugs in different shapes and sizes. Keep an eye out at thrift stores, vintage markets, flea markets, or yard sales to find your own Santas. You can also find them new at craft and home stores.
build your mug tree
Take a mini tree and place it inside of a mug tree working the branches until they fill in all of the blank spots.
You can find the mug holder that I used HERE.
Be sure to really fluff the tree on all sides so it is nice and full.
place tree on a cardboard box
add buffalo check ribbon
add the santa mugs to the Christmas tree
I started decorating with the largest mugs first moving on to medium size mugs and finally tiny mugs.
add a fun tree topper
I topped the tree with a cute cup of cheer sign and a bow to match.
decorate your santa Christmas Tree
Underneath, I added a polka dot scrap fabric skirt on top of the cardboard box along with some additional vintage items making a Christmas vignette.
So what do you think of my vintage Santa mug tree? Do you have a collection of vintage items you could make a tree with?
vintage santa mug Christmas Tree
Here are a few other ways to decorate with your Santa mug tree.
- Display it in an entryway on a buffet table to greet friends and family.
- Place it next to a hot cocoa bar as a gorgeous centerpiece.
- Add it to your kitchen island, or table for a festive look.
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE OTHER DIY CHRISTMAS IDEAS!
- Pool Noodle Christmas Candles
- Christmas Lantern and Santa Mailbox
- Easy $2 Dollar Tree Snowman Candle DIY
- 21 Ways to Repurpose Old Ornaments
- DIY Angel Ornament
Be sure to PIN this for later!
Vintage Santa Mug Christmas Tree
- Fabric Scissors
- A collection of mugs
- Miniature tree
- Mug tree
- Small sign for topper
- Box or riser
- Scrap fabric
- Optional vintage decor
- Take a mini tree and place it inside of a mug tree working the branches until they fill in all of the blank spots.
- Place the trees on top of a cardboard box for height.
- Add buffalo check ribbons tied in simple knots for added color and texture.
- Start decorating with the largest mugs first moving on to medium size mugs and finally tiny mugs.
- Top the tree with a cute cup of cheer sign and a bow to match.
- Add a polkadot scrap fabric skirt on top of the cardboard box along with some additional vintage items making a Christmas vignette.