This chocolate mug cake with M&Ms has it all; rich chocolate flavor, soft gooey texture, and a nice M&M crunch. Best of all it’s ready in less than 2 minutes!
When the craving for chocolate hits this microwave-cooked chocolate mug cake fits the bill. This convenient mug cake is ready in just minutes with some basic pantry staples so you can be devouring this decadent chocolate dessert in no time at all.
PIN this for later!
With this single-serve option, there’s no need to pull out the stand mixer or food processor, preheat the oven or make a big mess in the kitchen. No need to worry about leftovers either as I’m pretty sure you can finish off this serving in one sitting.
If you aren’t familiar with the concept of a mug cake it is a single-serve cake that bakes up in a mug in the microwave. The microwave cooks up the cake in just minutes. It couldn’t be more simple or delicious. Just note however that the texture will not be the same as a cake you bake in the oven. The mug cake still tastes great just not exactly the same as an oven-baked cake.
You can easily change up this recipe and add your favorite cake toppings, whipped cream, or different candy toppings. No hard and fast rules here about mug cakes. You can really make it your own. This chocolate mug cake makes the perfect after-school snack or after-dinner treat.
The mug cake tastes the best just a few minutes after it bakes so it is best not to prepare it in advance. You can easily double the recipe and make two mug cakes and bake them in one mug with a longer cook time or just cook them in two separate mugs, one at a time.
This mug cake is great to make when it’s just too hot to turn on the oven so keep it handy now that the warm weather is upon us.
If you love chocolate desserts as much as I do you may like these Easy Cake Mix Cookies With Mint Chocolate Chips, these Easy To Make White Chocolate Covered Oreos With Peppermint Candies or this Easy No Bake Cheesecake With Chocolate Ganache Topping.
This blog post contains affiliate links. The opinions are wholly my own from my own experience. I may earn a small commission from clicks through to the websites that end in a purchase.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Mug Cake
- Rich, moist and dense chocolate flavor
- Perfect for one person
- Cooks up in no time at all
- Easily modifiable
If you end up loving this chocolate mug cake as much as me, you’ll want to try this vanilla mug cake version, too!
- Measuring cups and spoons
Ingredients To Make Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- M&Ms for garnish
How To Make Mug Cake
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder.
Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla just until combined.
Pour the cake batter into a large microwave-safe mug. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then check for doneness. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals if needed until the cake is done.
Cool slightly then add the toppings of your choice and enjoy.
- Topping ideas: Top the mug cake with pre-made frosting, chocolate or peanut butter chips, whipped cream or Cool Whip, chocolate, hot fudge or caramel sauce or even some ice cream. Mini marshmallows, a chopped candy bar, sprinkles, chopped nuts, fresh berries, Nutella, peanut butter, cinnamon and brown sugar or even just simple sliced fresh bananas would taste great on top. The options are endless!
Here it is with peanut butter chips.
Here it is with sprinkles on top!
- Mix-ins: I love to mix things into the batter! Here are a few options to try: chocolate chips, chopped semi-sweet chocolate, peanut butter chips, peanut butter, chocolate frosting (a dollop into the center creates a sort of a lava cake), a touch of cinnamon, or a teaspoon of espresso powder. Or to spice up the mug cake a bit add cayenne pepper.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure there is enough room in the mug for the cake to rise. Otherwise, there will be a messy overflow to clean up. If you are worried the cake may overflow, place the mug on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave.
- Spray the mug lightly with cooking spray so the cake doesn’t stick.
- Any leftover cake can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Are mug cakes supposed to be gooey?
Mug cakes should be moist and tender but often the batter is a touch on the wetter side unlike oven-baked cakes that have a firm crumb.
Why is my chocolate mug cake rubbery?
If your mug cake is rubbery it could be because you overcooked it.
Can I make this mug cake in the oven?
No, this recipe has been designed to cook in the microwave, not the oven.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Small Bowl
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder.
- Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla just until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into a large microwave-safe mug. Microwave on high for 1 minute and then check for doneness. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals if needed until the cake is done.
- Cool slightly then add the topping of your choice and enjoy.