Have you ever wanted to make your own homemade bread but thought it was too complicated or time-consuming? Well, think again! This easy to follow dutch oven bread recipe is so simple that anyone can do it. Plus, the results are delicious and perfect for sandwiches, toast, or just snacking on by itself. Ready to get started? Let’s go!
Quick and easy recipes are some of my favorite ways to bake.
This easy dutch oven bread recipe may just be my new favorite. Using a dutch oven makes baking bread super simple.
No more kneading bread, or spending all day in the kitchen. Who has time for that? 🙂
Here are the simple steps for this no knead bread recipe.
ingredients needed for Dutch Oven Bread
- 3 cups of all purpose flour or bread flour (whole wheat flour or gluten free flour can be substituted here)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or fine sea salt or kosher salt)
- 1 package of active dry yeast RAPID RISE
- 1 1⁄2 c of warm water
- Olive Oil or cooking spray
- Optional salted butter
- Optional fresh rosemary
- Cast Iron Dutch oven
- Wire rack
- Plastic Wrap
- Sharp Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Baking Sheet or sheet pan
- Cutting Board
what is a dutch oven?
A cast iron Dutch oven is a heavy duty, large bowl with a tight-fitting lid.
what does a dutch oven do for homemade bread?
A dutch oven traps heat and moisture while baking, which creates an ideal environment for breadmaking.
The results? Delicious, perfectly baked bread every time.
Ready to try it for yourself? Give this easy dutch oven bread recipe a try today!
How to make No Knead Dutch Oven Bread
These are the perfect no knead recipe directions for any beginner bread bakers.
Add water, instant yeast, salt, and bread flour or whole wheat flour to a large bowl for mixing.
Begin stirring until the flour is well mixed and looks like sticky and shaggy dough.
Add more flour as needed, making sure there is not too much flour but instead a wet dough.
Lightly drizzle olive oil over the dough to ensure it comes out perfectly crusty.
Cover the top of the un baked bread lightly with plastic wrap and let sit out on the kitchen counter at room temperature overnight to let the dough rise once the active dry yeast begins to work.
When you get ready for fresh bread that’s homemade, piping hot and golden brown, remove the plastic wrap.
Then preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pop the cast iron dutch oven in the oven and let it get hot.
After 30 minutes, carefully remove the heated dutch oven from the oven using oven mitts and increase the heat to 450 degrees.
Place on a wire rack.
Lightly drizzle olive oil or use cooking spray around the rim of the hot dutch oven. Be careful as it will be HOT!
Wet your hands, and scoop the dough out of the bowl.
Drop the risen dough into the preheated dutch oven.
Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on.
Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes to a golden brown. Keep an eye on it through the oven door.
Allow it to cool completely.
After resting in the dutch oven for 10 minutes carefully remove the bread from the Dutch oven.
Slice and enjoy homemade bread!
Now get ready to slice and enjoy your no knead homemade moist bread.
There is just something sweeter about it being your own bread made from scratch.
This easy dutch oven bread recipe makes bread making something anyone can do.
Spread salted butter on a warm slice of this golden brown homemade bread while the internal temperature of the bread is still hot!
Doesn’t it look just mouthwatering?
Gone are the days of spending hours of time waiting for the dough to rise and kneading it.
But, you still get the flavor and taste of homemade breads that we all love.
Sourdough bread or any artisan bread would be a fun variation to this dutch oven bread.
Try out a different size dutch oven to practice your new bread making skills.
how do you store homemade bread?
Storing your dutch oven bread is easy! Just wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and keep it in a sealed bag or airtight container like the one below in the fridge. FIND THE CONTAINER HERE
It will stay fresh for up to five days like this. Or, you can freeze it for up to three months.
tips for baking bread in a dutch oven
Do you need to grease a Dutch oven when baking bread?
No. You want to avoid greasing the dutch oven to bake bread. Because of the high temperature, the fat will burn off and it will give your bread a charred taste.
Should you bake bread on parchment paper in the dutch oven?
You can use parchment paper to line the dutch oven and also transfer the dough to the bread stone. This will also help keep the bread from sticking.
Do you leave the lid on the Dutch oven when baking bread?
Be sure to PIN this for later!
Variations of Homemade knead bread and no knead Breads
There are many variations of bread that can be made at home. Some popular variations include:
– Dutch oven bread: This type of bread is cooked in a Dutch oven, which gives it a crispy crust and fluffy interior.
– Sourdough bread: This type of bread uses a sourdough starter to give it a tangy flavor.
– Artisan bread: This type of bread is made with high-quality ingredients and has a rustic appearance.
– Brioche: This type of bread is enriched with eggs and butter, making it soft and fluffy.
When choosing which variation to make, consider the ingredients that you have on hand and that you prefer.
Experiment with different homemade bread recipes and techniques to find the perfect bread for you.
With a little practice, you’ll be able to make delicious homemade breads that everyone will love!
If you are looking for more easy recipes on a dime, check these out:
Homemade Dutch Oven Bread Recipe
- Dutch Oven
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Package Active dry yeast RAPID RISE
- 1 1⁄2 c Warm water
- Olive Oil
- Add water, yeast, salt and flour to a large mixing bowl. Begin stirring until the flour is well mixed and looks shaggy and sticky.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over the dough.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pop the Dutch oven in the oven and let it get hot.
- After 30 minutes, carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and increase the heat to 450 degrees.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil around the rim of the Dutch oven.
- Wet your hands, and scoop the dough out of the bowl.
- Drop the dough into the Dutch oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- After resting in the Dutch oven for 10 minutes carefully remove the bread from the oven. Slice and enjoy!