Finding this silver tray at the thrift was such a treasure! I knew right away that I wanted to use it as a pretty tabletop version of our favorite game night activity, tic-tac-toe! This versatile DIY project was super fun to make. Create one for yourself like this…
>>>BE SURE TO PIN THIS PROJECT FOR LATER!<<<
- Silver-type tray of your choice
- Chalkboard paint
- White Chalk
- Paint brush
- Painters tape
STEP BY STEP
- Using painters tape, mark off the edges you’d like to protect from the paint using small pieces at a time.
- Paint the inside of the tray with chalkboard paint. Use thin layers of paint and allow them to dry thoroughly in between coats. It will take about 4-5 coats. Remove your blue tape.
- Let you paint dry thoroughly. Take your chalk and begin scraping it across the tray using the flat side.
- Cover the tray completely. This is called “seasoning” the chalkboard.
- Let it set a few minutes and repeat this “seasoning” process 3-4 times.
- At this point, your chalkboard should be ready for chalk or a chalk pen for designing!
LIVE VIDEO TUTORIAL
If you missed the facebook live video, you can watch it here…
This project is a little on the whimsical side to me and I love it! It doubles as the perfect fancy menu to add a magnet on the back and display on the fridge! I added some fun wooden tic-tac-toe pieces I found at the thrift store when I “scored” the silver tray! What would you use this versatile project for in your space?
Did you see the the other game night project I did where I made a fun tabletop centerpiece? Check it out here –>> Game Night Centerpiece